Sunday, April 02, 2006

Laughter

When I think about the topic of laughter I can't help but think of the scene in Mary Poppins where the children visit somebody's uncle (I do wish I could remember his name). During their visit, the uncle sings the infectious song, "I love to laugh" and before long, everyone and everything in the room is bouncing around bubbling over with laughter. Laughter is, after all, somewhat infectious.

Laughter can also be quite reasonless. My wife and I shared one of those great tear-jerking moments of laughter over a little inside joke we share. I'd tell you about it, but you wouldn't get why it's so funny. Quite honestly, I don't get it but when the little joke is dropped at just the right time -- even when life stinks -- we both weep from aches created in our facial and abdominal laugh muscles. Laughter is, after all, somewhat medicinal.

I just returned from a week long trip with our church to Tecate Mexico. On the way back, during our 30 hour van ride (speaking of things that really aren't that funny) I told the story of an Irish preacher I once heard speak. He was talking about the Apostle Paul and about the hard life he had. The genre of this sermon would have placed it in the Drama aisle of the video store, yet through soon-to-be-revealed circumstances, I'll explain how I found it in the comedy section. The man is an excellent speaker and is masterfully engaging. His sermon progressed powerfully until the fateful moment he began to use the word pain. I believe the exact phrase was, "the life of the Apostle Paul was one filled with pain." My irreverent laughter began immediately. The secret to my laughter was found, not in the serious nature of the sermon, but rather, the unfortunate nature of accents. While the phrase, "the life of the Apostle Paul was one filled with pain" is not funny, the Irish accent made the phrase sound like this in my ears: "the life of the Apostle Paul was on filled with peeing." I couldn't stop chuckling as the phrases continued, "Imagine the Peeing of Paul"; "Everywhere Paul turned, he saw Peeing"; "Paul and Peeing were synonymous". Ok, I know it's rather juvenile (I do work with Juveniles if that counts) but I couldn't stop laughing. I actually had to excuse myself from the message and in a back hallway I laughed myself silly. Laughter is, after all, somewhat unpredictable.

There are a couple of authors (Twain & Keillor) and a couple of movies that have always evoked laughter from me. I find it very hard not to laugh at "What About Bob" and "The Man Who Knew Too Little". Both are Bill Murray movies and both use the same basic Bill Murray character. I can remember the first time I saw each movie and I remember tears streaming down my face through several different scenes. In fact, during the Man Who Knew To Little, I think I was the only one in the theater laughing for the first 30 minutes but by the end of the movie, EVERYONE was weepy. It truly is a classic. But something strange has happened to that laughter. I watched that very movie just a few weeks ago (naturally we own it) and again found myself laughing at parts. Predictably, knowledge of the movie makes certain scenes far less funny as much of the humor is captured in the spontaneity and timing of the moment. So if I already know the timing and already know the outcome of certain comedic points in the movie, the humor I find comes in the more subtle nuances of the interactions then in the actual moment itself. Laughter is, after all, somewhat temporary.

I guess that's the heartache of laughter. For a few moments we find ourselves doubled over in aching silliness, only to realize that the pain of those laughs leaves us with nothing more than a good memory and a few wonderful moments of happiness. My soul can't be sustained on laughter, it can only find momentary relief. The wisest man in the world said it best: "there is a time for everything...a time to laugh...a time to weep"

Laughter is temporary but there is something deeper that can't be taken away. In the book of Philippians the afore mentioned Apostle Paul put it this way: "Rejoice in the Lord always, again I will say: Rejoice!" Powerful words for a man who's life was filled with pain (please quit the juvenile laughter!). Powerful words from a man writing from a prison cell. Powerful words from a man beaten with rods, stoned with rocks, shipwrecked, imprisoned, abandoned, left for dead, starved, naked and on the run. Powerful words from a man whose life probably didn't experience a lot of laughter but whose soul was constantly nourished by joy.

I remember when Chris Farley took his life and tribute after tribute came out about his comedic career. Probably all of us have laughed at something that Chris Farley was in (my favorite was the SNL motivational speaker, character!). But after his death interviews and letters were produced that revealed he had a broken heart, a shattered soul and a very troubled life. Mr. Farley was searching for joy and found laughter as a temporary fix. But laughter wasn't meant to carry the day, but to make the day a little brighter. It is joy that lightens the dark corridors and opens the windows to let in the fresh air of life! Laughter is a song on the breeze that can increase our joy, but cannot produce it.

I guess if I had to choose, I'd pick a rough life with joy over an empty life filled with laughter. I'm just glad it is God that produces and promotes joy AND laughter and as long as we don't mistake the laughter for joy, we can enjoy the medicinal, infectious and unpredictable nature of a good joke, a fun movie, a great book or anything else that tickles the funny bone. After all, we should all experience a little bit of Laughoric peeing!

And that's life between the sermons (and sometimes during them, too!)

1 Comments:

At 10:20 PM, Blogger Diana Dettwyler said...

Thank you El Pastor!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home